Liver Transplant in India
What is Liver Transplantation?
A liver or hepatic transplantation is a major surgical procedure in which diseased or damaged liver is replaced with a healthy liver. This procedure is very time consuming and demanding. It is performed in case of acute liver failure or an end stage liver disease.
What are Common Reasons for Liver Transplantation?
Some of the most common reasons for liver transplant are as follows;
- End-stage Cirrhosis which can be a result of alcoholic cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis, hemochromatosis, primary bilary sclerosis, etc.
- Liver cancers like Cholangiocarcinoma, primary hepatocellular carcinoma, primary hepatocellular malignancies and hepatic adenomas.
- Fulminant viral hepatitis (A, B, C, D), hepatic thrombosis may cause Fulminant hepatic failure.
- Genetic liver diseases
Who is the Candidates for Liver Transplantation?
Persons who suffer from irreversible acute or chronic liver disease are possible candidates for liver transplantation. The decision to start the process of determining if you are a candidate should be taken seriously. Besides determining your candidacy, it is important to consider the emotional, physical and financial aspects of a transplant.
Two main considerations for whether someone is a candidate for liver transplant are:
- Your condition will benefit from a liver transplant
- The surgery would do more good than harm
Who are Donors for Liver Transplantation?
Liver transplantation can be performed with the help of two types of donors:
- Deceased donor: Liver transplantation can be done with a deceased donor from someone who has died. The large majority of liver transplants use the entire liver from a non-living donor for the transplant, particularly for adult recipients
- Living donor: A living donor is usually someone in the family or a close friend.
What are Preparation for Liver Transplantation?
The preliminary evaluation, called a Phase I Evaluation, is the first step in helping you and the transplant team determines if transplantation is an appropriate treatment option Every patient is evaluated by a liver specialist, called a hepatologist, and a surgeon. The appointment will take a full day, and can be very tiring. The following tips will help you prepare for this first appointment:
- You must have a family member or another support person or people accompany you to help understand the significant amount of information you will receive about the transplant process.
- Because you will undergo many tests, do not eat or drink anything after midnight of the day before your appointment.
- Plan to bring a snack. Please bring any medications you are taking.
Evaluation and Tests for Liver Transplantation in India.
You will need to bring all of your previous medical records, X-rays, liver biopsy slides, operative reports and a record of medications to your pre-evaluation. To complement and to update previous tests, some or all of the following diagnostic studies are generally performed during your evaluation. If specific problems are identified, additional tests may be ordered.
- Computed tomography, which uses X-rays and a computer to generate pictures of the liver, showing its size and shape
- Doppler ultrasound to determine if the blood vessels to and from your liver are open
- Echocardiogram and stress testing to help evaluate your heart
- Pulmonary function studies to determine your lungs’ ability to exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide
- Blood tests to determine blood type, clotting ability, and biochemical status of blood, and to gauge liver function. Serology screening is also included.
Types of Liver Transplantation Surgery in India
There are three types of liver transplantation surgery procedures – Orthotopic transplantation, Heterotopic transplantation surgery and Reduced-size liver transplantation.
- Orthotopic Transplantation – The orthotopic approach requires replacing the recipient liver with the donor liver. After the donor liver is removed, preserved and packed for transport, it must be transplanted into the recipient within 12 to 18 hours. The surgery begins by removing the diseased liver from the four main blood vessels and other structures that hold it in place in the abdomen. After the recipient’s liver is removed, the new healthy donor liver is then connected and blood flow is restored. The final connection is made to the bile duct, a small tube that carries bile made in the liver to the intestines.
- Heterotopic Transplantation – Heterotopic Transplantation surgery involves the addition of a healthy donor liver at another site, while the diseased liver is left intact. This liver transplant surgery procedure is performed when the doctor is of the opinion that the diseased liver might recover. The healthy liver is attached very near to the original liver. If the liver recovers, the other organ shrivels away. If not, then the original one shrivels and the donor liver performs the body functions.
- Reduced-size Liver Transplantation – Reduced-size Liver Transplantation is most often performed on children and involves the transplanting a part of the healthy donor liver into a patient. This procedure is performed when 15-20% of the original liver is intact. This way, one donor liver can be used for two successful transplants.
Follow-Up Care to be taken Post Liver Transplantation
- After liver transplantation, the patient must frequently visit the transplant surgeon, about 1-2 times a week over about 3 months.
- The transplant surgeon and hepatologist monitor the patient’s progress through blood tests. After a year of Liver transplantation, follow-up care becomes individualized.
- Post transplant, patient will be on several different medications especially Immunosuppression medications which keep the body from fighting off the new organ. You may be on other medications to control blood pressure, Insulin, antibiotics and antivirals, diuretics, and vitamins.
- Typically, patients are seen every week for the first month post transplant, and then the frequency is reduced over time.
- Additional testing to monitor your health and liver function may vary from patient to patient. Tests may include abdominal scans, ultrasounds, and liver biopsies.
- There are few dietary restrictions. The patient is often advised to restrict salt (sodium) intake. A well-balanced diet with adequate protein is necessary. For reasons that are not clear, obesity frequently becomes a problem with liver transplant patients. To avoid this problem, patients should take control of their calorie intake early on.
Affordable Cost of Liver transplant in India at Best Hospital in India.
Liver transplant Cost in India: $50000 to 60,000 USD
Note: Cost Estimate of Liver Transplant in India,above include stay in a Private Room for specific number of days where a companion can stay with the patient, surgeon fee, medicines and consumables, nursing care and food for the patient. More accurate treatment cost estimates can be provided if medical reports are emailed to us or after the patient is examined by doctors after arrival in India and medical tests are done.
M.B.B.S., M.S., F.R.C.S.
28 + Years of Experience
Gastroenterology & Hepatology (Stomach & Liver)
23 + Years of Experience
M.B.B.S., M.S., M.N.A.M.S., M.Ch.
38+ Years of Experience
M.B.B.S.,M.S,F.R.C.S ,F.I.C.S, F.A.I.S
39 + Years of Experience
MBBS, MS, MCh, DNB
20 + Years of Experience
MBBS, MS, FRACS, DSc (Hon),DSc (HC)
40 + Years of Experience
M.B.B.S, M.S ,FRCS ( Edin ), FRCS ( Glas )
20 + Years of Experience
M.B.B.S ,M.S, F.R.C.S, MD(UK)
20 + Years of Experience
Why choose Med Access for Liver Transplant in India?
- Expertise and Experience:
Med Access has selected the best and the most experienced kidney and liver transplant surgeons and the most appropriate transplant centers in India. On an average all our associated doctors perform about 800 to 1,000 transplants a year. Most of them educated and trained abroad at leading hospitals and have gained valuable knowledge, skills and experience to deliver clinical outcomes at par with global standards.
- Team approach:Experts from various specialties work as a team to develop the best plan of care for the patient. The team takes time to listen to your questions and concerns and provide comprehensive care.
- Collaboration:Med Access has strong working relationships with all of the major transplant networks.
- Successful outcomes:Med Access does what it takes to ensures positive transplant outcomes.
- Continuity of care. Med Access associated professionals follow you before, during and after your transplant, to ensure the best results and quality of care.
- Patient satisfaction. Patients say they highly value the quality of care received through Med Access, such as access to the transplant team, coordinated care and follow-up care, including collaboration with the patient’s local doctor.
Write to us for a Free Expert Opinion and Customized Cost Estimates for Liver transplant in India.
Please scan and email your brief medical history and your medical reports to us.
we shall get you a Free, Expert Opinion from India’s leading specialist doctors.