Cirrhosis of Liver Treatment in India
What is Cirrhosis?
The scarring of the liver due to several types of liver conditions and diseases that include chronic alcohol abuse and hepatitis. This condition is termed as Cirrhosis.
What is Liver Cirrhosis ?
The second largest body organ is the liver that carries out important functions such as making vital nutrients, cleaning of the blood and detoxifying harmful substances in the body. The formation of the scar tissue blocks the blood flow through the organ and harms the liver structure. Due to these reasons, there is slow processing of hormones, toxins, nutrients, drugs, proteins along with other substances that are created by the liver. The functions of the liver include –
• It produces cholesterol and breaks down saturated fat.
• It also helps in storing glucose in the form of glycogen.
• It manufactures the substance bile that helps in digestion of the food.
• It manufactures many blood proteins that help in immune system function, clotting and oxygen transport.
• It helps in getting rid of many harmful substances in the bloodstream that include alcohol and drugs.
• It also stores excess nutrients and also returns some of the nutrients to the bloodstream.
Causes of Liver Cirrhosis
The most common causes of this condition include alcohol abuse, Hepatitis and fatty liver. However, any damage caused to the liver results in the condition of cirrhosis such as –
• Frequent and repeated attacks of heart failure with fluid backing up into the liver.
• Fatty liver linked with diabetes and obesity.
• Severe liver viral infections.
• Blockage of the bile duct.
It also includes some inherited diseases –
• Alpha 1 Antitrypsin deficiency (an absence of specific enzyme in the liver).
• Hemochromatosis is the condition due to abnormal liver function.
• Cystic Fibrosis
• Wilson’s disease (abnormal storage of copper in the liver).
• Glycogen storage diseases (when the body is unable to produce glycogen).
Symptoms of Cirrhosis
• Loss of appetite
• Easy bruising when there is a decreased production of blood clotting factors by the diseased liver
• Jaundice (yellowing of the skin) caused by the accumulation of bilirubin in the blood
Advanced symptoms include –
• Gastrointestinal bleeding
• Impaired sleep
• Difficulty in concentrating
• Dark urine
• Accumulation of fluid in the abdomen or in legs
• Poor memory
• Decreased muscle mass and weakness
Diagnosis and Evaluation of Cirrhosis
Biopsy of the liver is the best test for diagnosing the condition of cirrhosis. Liver biopsy is meant for those patients in whom the presence of the condition of cirrhosis is not clear. The other tests include physical examination, history evaluation and routine testing. Some other tests may also be done for diagnosing the underlying disease which is resulting in the condition of cirrhosis.
Stages of Cirrhosis
Stage 1 : During the initial stage of cirrhosis, a patient may face a few symptoms that include dry mouth, enlargement of the upper stomach area, jaundice and fatigue. The problem of itching can also be seen in some patients. Cirrhosis in its initial stages can be easily eliminated.
Stage 2 : In the absence of appropriate medical care there can be a progression of stage 2. Now the abnormal tissues that were created in stage 1 are now transformed into rigid bands of connective tissue. Fibrosis is the procedure where there is a transformation of tissues. Both fibrosis and the inflammation spread in the periportal and portal veins of the patient.
Stage 3 : Now in this stage, the rigid band of connective tissue merges with each other. There is immense enlargement due to the process of merging. This enlargement hampers the functions of the liver. The liver is unable to digest fat contents, cannot store nutrients or support the blood streaming. Heart problems and kidney problems are due to the condition of cirrhosis.
Stage 4 : This is considered as the most dangerous stage of cirrhosis. The surgery of liver transplant can be opted at this last stage. The liver performs normally after the liver transplant surgery.
Treatment for Cirrhosis
Following are the treatments for the cirrhosis condition –
• Liver transplantation
• Preventing further damage to the liver
• Detecting liver cancer early or preventing it
• Treating the complications of cirrhosis
In order to control the symptoms of cirrhosis, certain medications can also be given. By decreasing salt in the diet, ascites and edema can be treated. Diuretics is the drug which can prevent edema from occurring again and also removes excess fluid. Changed mental function due to cirrhosis can be treated with the help of drug and diet therapies.
Also referred to as malignant hepatoma, hepatocellular carcinoma is a type of liver cancer. Following are the different conditions that can increase the chances of Hepatocellular Carcinoma –
• Wilson’s disease
• Hepatitis B
• Cirrhosis of the liver
• Aflatoxin consumption
• Hepatitis C
Secondary Biliary Cirrhosis
When the bile duct is not able to transfer the bile effectively as a result of secondary cause that leads to blockage, scarring or inflammation is termed as Secondary Biliary Cirrhosis. This condition could result from cystic fibrosis, a congenital defect of the bile ducts or gallstones. Other causes include –
• Idiopathic sclerosing cholangitis
• Chronic pancreatitis
• Cystic fibrosis
• Congenital biliary atresia
• Bile duct narrowing after gallbladder surgery
Affordable Cost of Cirrhosis Treatment in India.
Compared to the surgical costs in Europe and America, the cost of Cirrhosis treatment is substantially lower in India due to its excellent health care facilities. The cost-effective treatment attracts many patients from across the world.
Cost of liver cirrhosis Diagnosis in India:- $1500 USD
Note:- Cost of liver cirrhosis Diagnosis in India at Best Hospitals in India , above include stay in a Private Room for specific number of days where a companion can stay with the patient, surgeon fee, medicines and consumables, nursing care and food for the patient. More accurate treatment cost estimates can be provided if medical reports are emailed to us or after the patient is examined by doctors after arrival in India and medical tests are done.
India’s Best Gastroenterologist.
30 + Years of Experience
M.B.B.S, MD, DNB, DM GASTRO (AIIMS),FRCP(Edinburgh),FIAMS, FRCP(London).
27 + Years of Experience
MBBS, MD (Med), PhD, FRCP (Edin), FAMS, FAGA
40 + Years of Experience
M.B.B.S,MD (MS), FASGE, FSGEI, FAIGE’s
12 + Years of Experience
M.B.B.S , MS, F.A.M.A.S ,MCH (GI Surgery)
15 + Years of Experience
M.B.B.S , MD(Gen Med), DNB(Gen Med), DM(Gastro)UCBM (Italy)
12 + Years of Experience
MBBS, DNB – Gen Surg, MS – General Surgery, FRCSED, FRCS – Glasgow, CCST (UK), FRCS
21 + Years of Experience
32 + Years of Experience
MBBS, M.D, D.M( GASTRO)
30 + Years of Experience
MBBS, M.S, FIAGES, FMAS, FAIS, FICS ( U.S.A.)
21 + Years of Experience
M.B.B.S, M.S ,M.R.C.S ,D.N.B
10 + Years of Experience
MBBS, MD, DM (GASTROENTROLOGY)
25 + Years of Experience
Why choose us for Cirrhosis of Liver Treatment in India?
• Helps patients to make informed best medical treatment decisions
• Provide expert multiple opinions on each case to arrive at the accurate diagnosis
• Carefully select, highly qualified and experienced doctors with proven track record as per case requirements
• Carefully select accredited hospitals having latest technology and world class infrastructure
• Close monitoring and control of the entire treatment process.
• Professional and comprehensive management of each case through case management to achieve best treatment outcome and avoid errors
• Professional qualified and experienced case manager assigned to each patient.
• Affordable & committed treatment cost estimates.
Why you should get Cirrhosis of Liver Treatment in India.
• Indian doctors are known all over the world for their skill and knowledge and have the experience of studying and working at the best laparoscopy hospitals in the world.
• Laparoscopy Hospitals in India are now equipped with the latest and high end technology.
• Doctors, nurses and hospital staff are English speaking, and thus no language barrier. Translators are available, if you cannot speak or understand English.
• Hospitals in India are designed to provide complete patient care and care for the attendants- coffee lounges, money changers, travel desks, wi-fi zones etc.
• Best Medicines and drugs are produced in India and exported all over the world. The cost of thus best medicines and drugs in India is thus much less.
• Cost of laparoscopy surgery in India at best laparoscopy hospitals in India is very low as compared to the cost best hospitals in America or UK with the same level of care and services.
• Most advanced Technology Infrastructure – Blood Bank with 24 hour apharesis facility, advanced laboratory and microbiology (infection control) support, advanced cardiology, DSA and interventionalradiology, portable and colour ultra-sonology, Liver Fibro-scan, 64 slice CT scanner, 3 T MRI, PET-CT and nephrology (including 24 hour dialysis and CVVHD).
Write to us for a Free Expert Opinion and Customized Cost Estimates for Cirrhosis of Liver Treatment in India at Best Hospitals in India.
Please scan and email your brief medical history and your medical reports to us.
we shall get you a Free, Expert Opinion from India’s leading specialist doctors.